Ideas, Inspiration, Spaces, Places, Treasures and Happy Finds

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Amazing book alert!

Morning lovely people

have to just quickly share this amazing book - Maske by Phyllis Galembo - that was bought for me by the lovely D. I saw it in a bookshop a while back and couldn't stop thinking about it, but when I went to get it, they had sold out, so D tracked it down for me - the photographs are just amazing!

Maske by Phyllis Galembo


Ngar Ball, Traditional Masquerade Dance, Nigeria 2004
 Photo: Phyllis Galembo


Makishi Masquerade, Zambia 2007
Photo: Phyllis Galembo



Ano Women's Masquerade, Nigeria 2004
Photo: Phyllis Galembo via Stephen Kasher Gallery

Much like the Human Planet programmes I mentioned before, images like this just remind me of the amazing world out there that is so easy to forget sitting in London on a grey and drizzly day. 

I don't doubt that some people would find these images a bit scary or even disturbing  - I find them slightly creepy and I used to work for a mask theatre company where I would scoff at anyone who found masks frightening, but they are also so interesting and they just fuel my imagination in a crazy way.

It looks like Phyllis Galembo has made some other interesting books, so check out her website - I am now a BIG fan.

Enjoy and have a great Tuesday.... more soon.
L. x




No comments:

Post a Comment